I can't stop living for this illness!
Steven and Elyse Heise
Cristina and Jim
Trevor Diamond & Travis Edwards
Ryan & Sara
Adam and Linda
Joanna Sliwa and Karol Maznicki
Miles and Laura Stanfield
Kelly and Seth Manning
Thank you for visiting my personal Georgia Transplant Foundation (GTF) fundraising webpage! Please take a moment to read my personal story and donate if you feel so moved.
For those of you who don't know me, my name is Beverly Ward-Dabney. I am fifty years old, a veteran of the US Army, a wife, a mother, a grandmother.
I had the honor to serve in the United States military from the age of eighteen to twenty-eight. Unfortunately, I am now 100% disabled due to service-related injuries. I live on a fixed income and do my best to make ends meet and help my children.
Several years ago I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. No one is quite certain what causes non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, but the outcome is certain: cirrhosis and eventual liver failure. When my liver began to fail, the strain of processing all the toxins out of my blood fell to my kidneys. Early last year, my kidneys also failed. I have been on dialysis since July 2013, and doctors have informed my family that the only chance for me to live more than another 12-24 months is to have a double liver-kidney transplant.
Six months ago they gave me six months, but through hard work, the tireless efforts of my family, and a few good doctors, I'm still kicking and my prognosis is much improved. I am currently a transplant candidate at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta. My family is anxiously awaiting the day we get the call that there are matching donor organs available.
Aftercare is very expensive and the surgery carries many dangers in and of itself, but the procedure is worth the risk: without transplants, I will die in the next 24 months. I have Medicare, which will cover 80% of the cost of surgery and aftercare, but the remaining 20% of the financial burden falls upon my family. I live on a fixed income, and the enormity of the medical bills facing us is truly daunting.
Some sources cite a cost of half a million dollars for a double transplant, meaning that I shall bear the brunt of at least $100,000 in medical bills before post-surgery medicines. The cost of immunosuppressive medications typically ranges from $20,600 to $32,900 per year and even with insurance, medicine co-pays can be unaffordable.
Thankfully, the Georgia Transplant Foundation (http://www.gatransplant.org/) has a wonderful program designed to help patients in a position like mine. They provide regular and matched accounts. With matched accounts, the GTF will match up to $10,000 in donations. If $10,000 in donations are received, GTF will match those funds with another $10,000, bringing the total funds available to assist with medication and hospitalization expenses to $20,000. In early May I was approved for a matched savings account, and can now begin to accept donations for my GTF account!
This is great news and I am so grateful to GTF for this wonderful program. But now I need you and people you know and people they know to help me raise that money by donating to my GTF account. Every little bit helps. $5, $20, $100; no donation is too small.
To donate to my campaign, please click the Support button or mail checks to the: Georgia Transplant Foundation, 500 Sugar Mill Road, Suite 170-A, Atlanta, GA 30350, and enter my name in the memo field of your check. For more information please contact the Transplant Fundraising Program at 1-866-428-9411 or 770-457-3796 or by visiting www.gatransplant.org.
To learn more about my journey, see pictures, get a better sense of who I am, visit my blog: